According to reports, long-term Manchester United target Sergej Milinkovic-Savic has agreed to join the club.
Reports linking the Serbian to a move to the Premier League, primarily Manchester United, have persisted for the past three years, like a bad odour.
In that time, interested parties have been priced out and had their interest turned down by both the player and the club, but a deal is now closer than ever, probably, maybe.
We’ve heard that before, but according to Corriere dello Sport, the 27-year-old wants to join United after rejecting both Arsenal and Newcastle, with reports in the last six months or so indicating Lazio may be ready to cash in.
Milinkovic-Savic has two years left on his contract with the Italian club, who will almost certainly receive a sizable fee from United if a deal is struck.
According to La Repubblica, the Red Devils are preparing a £57.4 million bid for the midfielder.
Milinkovic-Savic is expected to demand around £120,000 per week to move to Old Trafford, according to Gazzetta dello Sport.
Combined with the proposed £15m United would pay for other midfield target Adrien Rabiot, United would be landing two players for the price of one, having come unstuck in their chase of Frenkie de Jong, having agreed a £71m fee with Barcelona for the Dutchman last month.
According to the Telegraph, Ten Hag spoke with Rabiot on the phone on Monday “to express how eager he is for him to join” United.
The 27-year-old has informed the Serie A club that he wishes to leave and that a ‘deal should be struck’ for a fee of around £15 million.
Rabiot, who has one year left on his Juventus contract, is said to have been eyeing a move to the Premier League since the end of last season.
While he would prefer to play Champions League football, he is willing to join United in order to gain first-team experience ahead of the World Cup in Qatar.
According to reports, ‘he could ask for a large bonus tied to qualification for the competition the following year.’
The news of United’s midfield reinforcements may appease legends Roy Keane and Paul Scholes, who slammed Fred and Scott McTominay after the club’s opening day loss to Brighton on Sunday.
Speaking about the double pivot, Keane told Sky Sports: “The decision making and the football intelligence, in particular from Fred – and I’ve said this for a long time – Fred and McTominay are not good enough. They won’t get Manchester United back competing at the top.
“We see it week in, week out. [They are] not up to it.”
Scholes described the first half showing against Brighton as “shambolic” before agreeing with his former teammate.